Re: [OT] Improving usability of KiCad

On 10/13/2010 01:17 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

I wonder if it occurred to others - if the inch had been defined as 25.6 instead of 25.4/mm this
problem would have been quite different.

I thought the inch was defined first.

MANY various inch standards existed, but once the Canada inch was defined as 25.4mm the others followed.

Wiki has a fair writeup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch#Historical_origin

The evolution of measures is fascinating - worth a read:

The Science of Measurement; A Historical Survey  by Herbert Arthur Klein

Years ago I wrote up a fun bit on volume measures:

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Jack_and_Jill

That's what they said in here in the USA in the 1960's.  And then Dr.
Spock came along and the world got soft, teachers got a break, kids got
a break.  In the 1960's I remember there being a commitment to learn
metric, then that commitment went away, because it meant, ahem, work and
study and teaching. Not just for kids in school but also for adults out
of school.

I remember that all to well and it seems like we are reaping the economic consequences of always taking the path of least resistance as we speak.

It might have been a nice thing to do with the Y2K initiative.  You
know, declare the inch dead.  The problem obviously is the machine
tools, tools, etc.  But if we simply started measuring everything in
metric, the 2.54 that we would see everywhere would eventually get
tiresome and the machines would eventually get made in metric.

The movement of manufacturing to Asia, will continue to push us in to a metric only world.

That being said - I can visualize 10 mils, I have a great feel for a quarter inch, but I have to work hard to keep my metric case sizes visulized.

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/SMT_Case_Size_Codes

I hate using fractional inches so much, that I carry a decimal-inch tape measure for carpentry work... Stanley 33-272 - Starts out in 1/100th of inch..

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

They can print money; they cannot print wealth.
Wealth only comes from productive behavior.
Printing money only destroys the ability of wealth
producers to produce more wealth. KPS