Re: Improving usability of KiCad

On 10/13/2010 10:48 AM, Marco Serantoni wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>

>>> I wonder if it occurred to others - if the inch had been defined as 25.6
>>> instead of 25.4/mm this
>>> problem would have been quite different.
>>
>> I thought the inch was defined first.
>>
>>> I do think the inch will die out someday.
>>
>> That's what they said in here in the USA in the 1960's.  And then Dr.
>> Spock came along and the world got soft, teachers got a break, kids got
>> a break.  In the 1960's I remember there being a commitment to learn
>> metric, then that commitment went away, because it meant, ahem, work and
>> study and teaching. Not just for kids in school but also for adults out
>> of school.
>
> Dick, we doesn't want that US will change its metric system, nor begin a lesson
> of metrology.
> Scientific international system is MKS, wxDC has also calls that returns
> millimeters, the greatest part of the world population uses a metric system,
> ISO 31 says the same,  don't you find those be good reasons to switch the
> internal metric system to a metric one ?
>
> Mr Spock could say in this occasion: the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Marco,

Wrong Spock!  Dr. Spock was one of the first child psychologists to write a
parenting book which unfortunately a lot of parents bought into.  He naively
believed that you could raise healthy well adjusted adults by coddling their
egos as children by telling them how wonderful they were even when they
weren't.  This had the adverse effect of creating several generations of adults
who feel entitled to everything without doing anything.  These are the adults
who are always complaining about how unfair everything is.  This parenting
method was the antithesis of the old school parenting method of corporal
punishment (spanking) and demanding that children tow the line.  Thankfully, my
parents didn't subscribe to the Dr. Spock method of child rearing even though
he published his book around the time I was born.  I'll get off my soapbox now.

Wayne