Re: Improving usability of KiCad

On 10/13/2010 10:47 AM, Alex G wrote:

> On 10/13/2010 06:40 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>
>> Jean-Pierre has not objected.  There is probably some considerations
>> about extending the range of the zoom that come with this, and how the
>> UI is to handle that.  Will the zoom menu get too big, etc.  And some
>> other issues that still need to be discussed about the actual migration,
>> what that means in terms of saving a board, or a footprint (save as old,
>> save as new, or either).  Where we designate what the units are in those
>> saves.
>>

>> I think it prudent to adopt your paragraph as the opening paragraph at
>> this point.  Then we should add a couple of more before the coding
>> begins.  Brian says he has already done some of this work.  There is no
>> harm in defining what is needed, and then going to see what he has
>> done.  If we do it the other way around, we might miss something.
>>
>> Alex, go ahead and put your first paragraph out there if you don't mind.
>>

> Done. Here's the blueprint (I hope this is what I was supposed to do).
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kicad/+spec/unit-system
>
> Alex

Thanks Alex.  Maybe Brian B can coach you through something resembling a
discussion plan and a patch.

Anything involving a file format change is worth being careful about, we
have customers you know.  :)

This is why I am trying to get all the issues understood up front, no
hurry on this.

They don't like to have their designs broken.

Dick