Re: Cursor position improvements.

On 2/3/2011 2:34 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>
>>> you make the cursor snap to the grid? It can be quite irritating if
>>> there's some kind of hysteresis in the movement and the cursor doesn't
>>> move continuously (i.e. a pixel at a time) when one moves the mouse on
>>> the table.
>
> Also right-click/keyboard operations are possible even on non-aligned
> object: in fact, most of the time, off-grid can pick an ambiguous
> selection. A thing I really hate in acad is that osnaps *are* grid
> snapped before object snapping!

That was why I suggested using the cursor position before snapping to grid to
prevent location issues for items off grid.  Another option is to not snap the
cursor at all.  Only snap the item being drawn as the cursor approaches the
nearest grid position.  This way it is obvious snapping is turned on (which is
currently the only option) without the annoyance of warping the cursor to the
nearest grid position.

> I'd vote for nonwarping (the technical term in X :D) system cursor and
> snapping drawn crosshair (big or small depending on preferences).

I'm not terribly thrilled about the drawn cross hairs unless the orphaning
issues can be solved ( preferably without doing a full screen redraws which can
be very costly on PCBNew ).  It is rather annoying when the cross hair ends up
one side of the screen and the cursor on the other side and on the next cursor
movement the cross hair jumps all the way to the cursor position.

It's definitely an interesting problem.  Obviously, everyone has their own
preferences for cursor behavior.  Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time),
but it seems to me that the cursor handling could and should be improved.