Re: KiCad Windows builder

Le 04/08/2011 20:10, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
On 8/4/2011 5:09 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
On 4 August 2011 03:25, Dick Hollenbeck<dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

(My machine compiles the entire Kicad source in 3 mins 30 seconds, on Ubuntu
x86_64, no wxWidgets, just Kicad.)

$ make clean

$ time make -j 5

real    3m0.329s

Looks more like 3 minutes flat.

But I compile for a living.

Nice! On windows mingw32-make cannot run multiple jobs without
crashing so it is really limited; Annoying as I bought a quad core
processer with hyper threading for mingw32-make -j 7

D'oh!

I am passing -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release through to the KiCad build. I
expect it is still generating "debug" symbols though. I will have
another look tonight anyway and see what conclusions I can reach.

I checked the release build on my machine and found the same thing.  Running
"strip --strip-all" made no difference in the size of eeschema.exe (11617280
bytes).  It may just be that the static link version of wxWidgets (I'm using
2.9.2) is the culprit.  Maybe it's time to start building and linking to
wxWidgets dynamically instead of statically.  This appears to be the way MinGW
is heading judging by the dynamic libraries installed with GCC 4.5.2 (the
default compiler when installing MinGW using mingw-get).  I see no problem
linking dynamically other than making sure all the required library
dependencies are included when running "make install" and/or creating the
Windows installer.

Wayne

I also made some tests.

I can confirm tests made by Wayne.
But I am not sure the dynamic link solves the main issue: time to see the Kicad window on screen.
I compiled Kicad using wxMSW 2.8.12 (the last stable version) and wxWidgets 2.9.3 ( the SVN version)
under gcc 4.4 and 4.5.2

With the same compiler version, Kicad binaries, and wxWidgets libs
with 2.8.12 have a size that is roughly half the size of the 2.9.3 version.

On my computer Eeschema is shown on screen about 2 seconds after launching the binary, with 2.8 version.
With 2.9.3 Eeschema is shown on screen about 8 seconds or more after launching the binary, with 2.9 version.

Note when compiled with gcc 4.4, Eeschema (and other kicad applications) is shown on screen faster.

I am afraid this issue could be due to the fact wxWidgets has no more a debug and a release version,
but only an unique version.

If this is the case, this is a bad news.

I also am afraid the use of dynamic libraries add more time to launch Kicad.
It fixes only the size of binaries, that is now a very minor problem.

By the way, the SVN version works fine for me and has fixed annoying issues found in Kicad.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS