Re: KiCad Windows builder

On 8/4/2011 5:09 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> On 4 August 2011 03:25, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> (My machine compiles the entire Kicad source in 3 mins 30 seconds, on Ubuntu
>>> x86_64, no wxWidgets, just Kicad.)
>>
>> $ make clean
>>
>> $ time make -j 5
>>
>> real    3m0.329s
>>
>> Looks more like 3 minutes flat.
>>
>> But I compile for a living.
>>

> Nice! On windows mingw32-make cannot run multiple jobs without
> crashing so it is really limited; Annoying as I bought a quad core
> processer with hyper threading for mingw32-make -j 7
>
> D'oh!
>
> I am passing -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release through to the KiCad build. I
> expect it is still generating "debug" symbols though. I will have
> another look tonight anyway and see what conclusions I can reach.

I checked the release build on my machine and found the same thing.  Running
"strip --strip-all" made no difference in the size of eeschema.exe (11617280
bytes).  It may just be that the static link version of wxWidgets (I'm using
2.9.2) is the culprit.  Maybe it's time to start building and linking to
wxWidgets dynamically instead of statically.  This appears to be the way MinGW
is heading judging by the dynamic libraries installed with GCC 4.5.2 (the
default compiler when installing MinGW using mingw-get).  I see no problem
linking dynamically other than making sure all the required library
dependencies are included when running "make install" and/or creating the
Windows installer.

Wayne