Re: Fwd: PPA build problems

On 10/22/2011 11:16 AM, Adam Wolf wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     It seems we need to have "packaging" information maintained somewhere.  In the video
>     example it looks like it was being merged in from a separate repo, although that
>     decision
>     to maintain it in a separate tree is a separate topic or decision.
>

>     After that everything seems to be in place at Launchpad already.
>
>     I volunteer to spend some time on this, but again, it will be several days before I can
>     get there.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Dick
>

> I've had a build recipe set up for something like six months, but it broke sometime
> during the XPM icon changes.  I finally had a chance to take a look at it this morning,
> and I changed the build recipe branch to not have -DXPM_CPP_PATH=$(CURDIR)/build/bitmaps
> in the cmake options, and it appears to build fine.  My PPA already had builds scheduled
> for most recent ubuntu releases, so I cannot test it on their architecture for anything
> but Ubuntu 12.04 ("Precise").  I did test it with that, and it successfully built, as
> well as successfully built on my Ubuntu 11.04 machine.  In about 20 hours or so, the
> rest of the Ubuntu releases should build on Launchpad.
>
> The build recipes seem to be pretty amazing, really.  I have a single branch of
> packaging information loaded.  I started with the debian packaging information.  I then
> added a few lines in a build recipe
> (https://code.launchpad.net/~adamwolf/+recipe/kicad-packaging-daily
> <https://code.launchpad.net/%7Eadamwolf/+recipe/kicad-packaging-daily>) and now
> Launchpad merges kicad with my packaging tree, and if there's been any changes in the
> last day, it builds it and puts it in a PPA.
>
> Adam Wolf

Thanks Adam!

This certainly reduces the urgency that I had placed on looking into this.  I think folks
can simply use your PPA for the time being.

I will be curious to see about the packaging information at some point in the future,
should I live that long to where it becomes my highest priority.

For this particular KiCad project, I believe a sound PPA like this is far more important
that the stock package that one finds in the distro's repo, simply because it will always
be more current, and is the easiest way for someone to get their hands on a bug fix.

It is also a very strong reason for folks to be using the Ubuntu flavor of Linux,
providing such a user is spending any significant time in KiCad.

Dick