Re: Library License

On 03/22/2012 10:06 AM, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:
> Hello,
> if we look at what the GEDA guys do/did, I seem to understand that
> they licensed everything (software and libraries) under GNU GPL:
> https://github.com/bert/gschem-symbols
>
> Word-processor templates for open-source word processors are
> open-source tools like LibreOffice could be distributed under GPL
> without your final word-processor document having to be open source.
>
> Library components for an EDA software tool can represent (and often
> are) a great value and lots of work is often behind it. Such value
> makes it is worth protecting the libs with a proper license.

Fabrizio,

You seem to feel a proper license protect the libraries.  Can you elaborate on how you
think this is beneficial to both:

a) users of libraries.

b) contributors of library parts/footprints

I am interested in your point of view.

My point of view is not firm yet, other than that I know I am not a communist.  I don't
ever see communism working, no where, no how.

So if what we have is communism, this explains why there are no significant parts in our
libraries.  My earlier remarks are NOT a knock on those who signed up to improve our
libraries.  It is just a recognition that communism does not work.

Somebody has to design a better *process* for sharing parts/footprints.

I think this means somebody makes money doing it.  You don't like this idea?  Then suggest
one that actually might work.  What we have is clearly NOT working.

Anybody file that wxformbuilder bug report yet?

Dick