Re: Scripting build on Windows

On 25 October 2012 11:50, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25 October 2012 11:40, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <miguelangel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> You're right Brian, that's the reason why you couldn't see the scripting
>> console button at the toolbar
>> and pcbnew didn't incorporate the scripting "ui" things inside, the lack of
>> wxPython (that as far as I know
>> just substitute wx itself).
>>
>> I think there is another compile switch you must enable yet for scripting:
>>
>> KICAD_SCRIPTING  <-- enables scripting inside pcbnew
>>
>> KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES <--- builds a pcbnew.dll for standalone python
>>
>> KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON  <---- builds all the UI stuff dependent on
>> wxPython inside pcbnew
>>

>> Thanks a lot for taking care of the windows build!! :)
>>

> Hi Miguel,
>
> I cheated by shifting the wxpython headers in to my wxWidgets source
> directory quickly and after building, PCBNEW failed to start because
> it couldn't init wxPython. So tonight I'll build wxPython from source
> and point KiCad towards it. That should get me a sane build on Windows
> and we can see how it goes from there.
>
> Luckily wxPython have a 2.9.4 source tree, which is what we need on Windows.
>
> Thanks for adding scripting support to KiCad! :-D
>
> Best Regards, Brian.

I didn't have much time last night, but I pointed KiCad to wxPython
instead of wxWidgets for building. It got so far and choked because
wxPython appears to have a dependency on Cairo. It required too much
time to investigate last night, but I'll try and look at it again
tonight to see if that is a requirement, or if it is optional.

If Cario's optional it'd be good to get rid of it, otherwise it'll be
another dependency to add to the list.

Best Regards, Brian.