Re: Environment Variables

Ok,

I will do that in a new post with another title so it is easy to find.

I could make a video since I already have a youtube channel with plenty of
visits but I'm not a native English speaker so I think it might be better
just to keep the written version :)

In fact I've been doing a tutorial for Kicad in Spanish but I haven't
finished since the last changes for KiCad have changed a lot in PCBNew and
Library and I'm thinking of redoing the first ones with a newer version of
KiCad including the new features of PCBNew. Should I keep waiting a little
longer for more big changes?

I'll try to make a useful post for the environment variables and how to use
them to be able to work with Kicad seamlessly in different platforms.

Last but not least. I think there is already work being done with the
libraries but I think that it would be really good for KiCad to have a very
large contributive components library since most "hobbiest" users don't
wan't to make their own parts and people like me that are freelance or work
for small companies will use already created components when they come from
a "respectable" source. I spend a lot of time creating my own footprints
and I've found that the best library out there in my opinion is this one:
http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm . Is anyone
working on doing some sort of collaborative library where people could
create components and by users votes have the components validate
them-selves?
I know a little about the github "official" library for KiCad and also I
know of a web that is doing that for three differents packages (KiCad
included), it is called CircuitHub. It is a great idea but they try to
cover too much, at least for now, in my opinion. You can create the
components in their web, et cetera. I've tried it and I've even talked to
one of the founders for support, since there are many things that don't
work right yet and they make it basically unusable at the end. They've told
me they are working on it, but it have passed at least 6 months and they
have added other things but the component creation part is still not
working right. To the point of not even been able to create new schematic
symbols.

Anyway, I just want to know if there is somebody working in an idea like
that but just to keep the components, not creating them in the web since I
could help creating components and a system to let people create components
to share, following a common criteria which could give some security to the
people wanting to use them.

BTW, sorry for the long boring reply.

--

アレッカス