Re: Environment Variables

On 03/17/2014 12:27 PM, Alejandro Méndez A. wrote:
> Hi Dick,
>
> I already fixed it, I had a problem with the environment variable which in Linux you can
> set it just for one user and I'm new to Linux.
>
> Now, if you can tell me where to write a little guide on how to do it, I will gladly do
> it. If there is no such a place, I would just send it to the mailing list where someone
> might find it.

User's (yahoo) Mailing list is helpful!  TIA for that.

It would be good if you actually re-enforce the *concept* of what you are trying to do,
not simply state how to set the environment variable.  The fact that it allowed you to
achieve a single data file which is applicable across platforms, that is the concept.

It was in your original posting, but I would bring it into your summary posting.

Eventually, if somebody can make videos that help users, that will help users.  I suppose
we can link to good videos from the website.

I think people struggle more with the concept of what the environment variable is doing,
than they struggle with how to set it.  You at least saw this concept, and it puts you at
the head of the class.

If you tell them only how to set it, next thing they'll ask is what variable do I set?

It would be best if you *invent* your own environment variable, and use that in your write
up.  Like FPBASEDIR or something like that, anything meaningful.  And more than one is OK.

We actually use ${MY_LIBS} for our personal libraries, and put them on a network drive in
pretty format, so that's where MY_LIBS points.

You can do the same with environment variables for the paths to the 3D models.

I will not be visiting the user's mailing list anymore, so your help is appreciated.