Re: Eeschema issue: cannot load component from multi libraries with same component name

On 08/19/2014 03:16 PM, Vesa Solonen wrote:
> 19/08/14, 21:35, Wayne Stambaugh kirjoitti:
>> On 8/19/2014 1:53 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>
>>> If I have part 'R' in mylib, and it is also in library devices, it shows me devices as my
>>> top and only candidate as I type in 'R'.
>>>

>> If the picker can select part R from a library further down the library
>> stack, that's not the one that will be shown in the schematic.
>
> It would be really nice if any of the instances could be picked by the
> picker. Then pushing that picked one to library-cache and updating the
> schematic from the cache just updated. Wouldn't that solve the whole
> case cleanly?

No.  The library name is not recorded in the schematic next to the referenced part.  It is
not there.  In pcbnew we have "mylib:footprint".  In eeschema you only have "partname".

So the "lookup" of "partname" inherently only uses the library names list, period.

This is not going to change until it is changed.  Pcbnew is an example of how to do it.

Moreover, the problem in eeschema is more critical than it was in pcbnew.  In pcbnew
footprints are copied.  So even if you forget where one came from, its still in the board.

Not so in eeschema.  If you change your library names list, you can see a different
library part being referenced from the schematic component.

The cache-library is just another library, it is a fallback only, not a front runner.

Dick