Re: more pythonic scripting API for pcbnew

On 16.01.2015 14:06, LordBlick wrote:
> Ajo:
>> In my opinion it’s not a waste of time.
>>
>> A decent API will lead to more standardized scripts, and the
>> people ability to share and look at other’s work.
>>
> All right, IMHO this could itself be provided at that condition if is
> not used, there will not be silently consume system resources.
> Only lest it was made out of such API layer of additional layer of
> additional layer… Yo dawg!
> If we want to brag about own scripts, it is possible to create any forum
> or page to share scripts, no need for this fancy API.
> Personally, I cured myself from thinking that my script should be
> attached to the giant, which becomes the KiCad repository.

Dear LordBlick,

I'm of quite opposite opinion - all scripts of decent quality should be
available in some official repository (whether it will be separate from
the main Kicad repo is a different discussion) and possibly packaged
with the releases of Kicad.

A stable and simple API for scripting, that is independent of the
pcbnew's internal storage model is a big step in that direction. To me
the discussion if:
Point(10, 10, Units=MM) is better than Point.mm(10, 10) or point_mm(10,
10) is a waste of time, because I don't see any of these forms making
script development significantly more difficult.

Cheers,
Tom

@Miguel: PS - What do you think about adding a GAL canvas object to the
scripting API? It could be useful for footprint/import wizards or other
PCB feature generators as a preview window, embedded in a GUI form. I've
had in mind a Pythonish SVG graphic importer (see attachment), adding a
simple OSHW logo to a Kicad PCB project is quite painful now...