Re: more pythonic scripting API for pcbnew

On 16.01.2015 14:06, LordBlick wrote: Dear LordBlick,

I'm of quite opposite opinion - all scripts of decent quality should be
available in some official repository (whether it will be separate from the
main Kicad repo is a different discussion) and possibly packaged with the
releases of Kicad.
Separate repository seems more sensible. My OS packaging environment (RPM)
spends 23 minutes to build every release (without docs and libs) and that amount
of time still grows. Every element, which can stand alone, should have separate
repo as was done with docs and libs.

A stable and simple API for scripting, that is independent of the pcbnew's
internal storage model is a big step in that direction. To me the discussion
if: Point(10, 10, Units=MM) is better than Point.mm(10, 10) or point_mm(10,
10) is a waste of time, because I don't see any of these forms making script
development significantly more difficult.
That's my appointment too, but possibly haven't found proprietary words…
Some of ways comes from Python language specific forms.
@Miguel: PS - What do you think about adding a GAL canvas object to the
scripting API? It could be useful for footprint/import wizards or other PCB
feature generators as a preview window, embedded in a GUI form.
It will be great to control fast drawing area from external script. Today I use
cairo/gtk to my scribbles.
I've had in mind a Pythonish SVG graphic importer (see attachment), adding a
 simple OSHW logo to a Kicad PCB project is quite painful now...
Curiously, I'm doing svg import work in python with additional ability to simple
edit points position.
Screenshot contains yet unfinished UI editor. I have some ideas, eg. a choice to
import (DrawPolygon footprint or other draws - arcs, circles segments, zone on
board or draw elements on board etc ...)

--
Best Regards,
LordBlick