Re: kicad StepUp 3D kicad board and models to STEP

Hi Ed,

thank you for testing the script.
As Cirilo pointed out, the FreeCAD version of the board is optimized for mechanical purposes, so only plain board and components are exported. This is done for an ECAD/MCAD interchange and for making enclosure design easier.

This approach is a bit different from the standard way to play with kicad, but if one switch from Wings3D to FreeCAD to create 3D models, the script will align the MCAD model to the 3d-viewer in kicad...

If you could send me a board with some multipart objects and the correspondent 3d STEP model, I will try to upgrade the script to manage them too.

I added to the script the ability to read a black list of models, so only objects relevant for the mechanical design are added to the assembly (e.g. r0402, c0402 etc will not be exported if configured).

the config file is ksu-config.cfg which also can point the script to your KISYS3DMOD path.
latest version at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kicadstepup/

(I'm still trying to update the launchpad trunk, but having some trouble with bzr...)

Thank you again for your feedback
Maurice