Re: Making translation easier: Any non-developer non-geek friendly approach?

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 10:57:10AM +0900, yoneken wrote:
> > Translating a website with po files is really incredibly bad idea.
> > Its massive paragraphs, we edit one small word of a page in English
> > and suddenly the entire page revert backs to English.

No. In that case the string is marked "fuzzy" that means that it is
almost good. An changing one single word could reverse the meaning of an
entire page so the site page could still be present the fuzzy page but
with a warning that the contents could be obsolete.

> I strongly agreed.

I strongly disagree.

> Such a thorny issue is already exists in translating project of KiCad manuals.
> When updating the original document ,
> the others of i18n documents are suddenly destroyed.

Are _not_ destroyed.
Are marked as fuzzy and fixing those paragraphs is really easy.
And when some translation infrastructure will be in place it will be even easier.

Anyway consider the alternatives: some author change something in the
original document and every translator have to scan the entire document
for changes as it was when documents were in ODT format...better?

I agree that some sort of "snapshot" of the reference docs should be
fixed to let translator work on a static source (and we are managing to
do this with tags) in a similar way to the "string freeze" that happens
when a stable release comes out, but please do not re-discuss this matter
after so many months of work on it.

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |