Re: Git transition

On 8/10/2016 5:02 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> On 08/08/2016 06:09 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> The last time I looked, notifications of repo commits still were not
>> implemented.  This is a show stopper for me.  I don't want to have to
>> constantly grep the git commit log to see what changed.  If change
>> notifications are working correctly, then I'm OK with moving forward on
>> this if you can get the bug fix linking working.  We definitely should
>> do some testing before we go live with this.
>
> I see there is an option to set notifications, in the same way as for
> the bazaar branches ("Edit your subscriptions" on the right side pane).
> I could not verify it, as likely I cannot receive notifications for the
> changes I introduce. Even if it does not work, I can implement it in my
> webhook.

I spent some time yesterday creating my own git clone of kicad on LP and
I noticed that the subscriptions that I need appear to be available for
git repos so we shouldn't need any webhooks in for that unless they do
not work.

> The webhook has reached beta stage. I have created a dummy project for
> testing purposes, where you can see a bug report [1] and a commit [2]
> with message that includes a "fix(es)?[ ]+(lp:|#)?([0-9]+)" regex match.
> When it is detected, it automatically adds a message, changes the bug
> status and assignee. One thing that is not possible right now is linking
> with git branches, as apparently launchpad does not handle this at the
> moment (or I could not find the right format to specify a branch).

Bug report linking is very important to me since I am responsible for
the stable branch.  If there is no support for this yet, I'm OK with
adding the bug report number to the first line of the commit message and
the URL somewhere in the commit message body.  If I give the OK to use
git, I will expect all developers that have commit privileges to the
product repo to follow this without exception.  The commit message for
bug report fixes must have this format:

Description of bug report fix. (fixes lp:########)

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/########

If this is not acceptable, then the git transition will have to wait
until Canonical gets git bug report linking implemented or Orson beats
them to it.

> All we need to do is to set a webhook pointing to my script [3]. If it
> is accepted, then I am going to create a separate lp account for the
> automated changes.
>
> Currently the webhook works on my home server which has a high uptime,
> but still it is not as reliable as dedicated servers. If there is
> someone willing to host it on a better machine, I will be pleased to help.
>
> If you are curious about the source code, then I can put it in the KiCad
> github (once I get a repository there) or just post it somewhere.

I can create a repo on github or you can create a repo on launchpad.
Either way is fine by me.  If you want to use github, let me know what
name you want for the repo and your github user name and I will set up
the repo and give you admin rights.

Thanks for working on this.

Cheers,

Wayne