Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

On 01/23/2018 06:18 PM, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
[snip]> Automatically updating existing schematics when one of its
symbols moved
> to a different library would of course be awesome if that could happen
> as well. I also made a suggestion about that:
>
>> One way I can imagine this works is to also include a "rename"
>> specification (perhaps similar to the current rename.json), which can be
>> used by KiCad to automatically migrate older symbol references. Or
>> perhaps the rescue dialog can be improved to look among other libraries
>> for a symbol with the same name and let the user choose between
>> relinking to such a symbol, or resueing one from the cache.

I guess updating schematics will not be a problem anymore with the new
file format when symbols are going to be embedded in the schematics
file. You would need to point to the new library and symbol only if you
want to update the symbol, but I doubt it is a common case.

Regards,
Orson