Re: Packaging question

Am 27.02.2018 um 00:41 schrieb Nick Østergaard:
> And I still think it is fine to talk about general packaging things
> on the dev list because packagers for multiple platforms are
> available here. Often it is also relevant for some development
> decisions.

I guess this is mostly addressed to me due my previous answer within
this thread.

Nick. I fully agree here with you, no doubt. General and "default"
questions should and need to be discussed in a broader audience like on
this ml for the reasons you describe.

For more in detail questions that are not in the main scope of this list
I'd like to see not more than the needed noise, the traffic on the list
is not that low most of the time and so I can't always follow some
topics every time.

The packaging formats in the different Linux distributions are differing
in details. So some feature that is possible in distro A isn't possible
in distro B. Related to this it's simple impossible to keep the same
package name layout in sync over the Linux distributions at the same
time. Also the strategy of some distributions for life circle and
updates are basically different. The rolling release based distros (like
Arch) are fundamentally different to major version releasing distros and
lower done the requirements on the underlying package manager.

To make it short, I assume it's impossible to let every distro have the
same packages with the same content.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert