Re: 5.1

Hello Seth,

Am 18.10.18 um 21:52 schrieb seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> * sense flipped here *  Debian 9 = python-wxgtk only uses gtk2 and
> Debian 10 = python-wxgtk only uses gtk3

yes, and for wxpython3.0 there is currently no backport for stretch
available and probably will never be due the massive reverse depends the
uploader would be responsible for.

Also on the wxwidget3.0 side we have two libraries in the archive of
unstable/sid and testing/buster.

libwxgtk3.0-{0v5,dev} vs. libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-{0v5,dev}

The first is build with GTK2 bindings, the latter with GTK3+ bindings.
KiCad even in unstable is using the former packages. Debian is planning
to drop these and do the transition over to the latter version for Buster!

https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/wxwidgets3.0-gtk3.html
https://bugs.debian.org/894663

5.0.1 is almost unusable if build with libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev and right
now the KiCad package in testing would become RC if the transition to
libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-{0v5,dev} would start.

And applications which using libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5 aren't usable under
Wayland. It's all a mess.

I haven't build a recent devel version of KiCad against this GTK3+ based
library of wxwidget3.0 so I can't say if the current HEAD would be
better usable if linkend against libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5.

Maybe Thomas P. has done this already?

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert