Re: 5.1

Hi,

Am 19.10.18 um 16:46 schrieb Carsten Schoenert:
> Hello Wayne,
>
> Am 19.10.18 um 15:35 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> packages for it.  I'm concerned we are going to spend a huge amount of
>> effort for little or no net gain.  Has wx 3.1.1 been packaged for Debian
>> yet?
>
> As far I see and know not yet.
>
> https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=team%2Bwx%40tracker.debian.org
>
> It would be good if someone with more background knowledge than me would
> get in touch with the package maintainers to talk about this topic or
> open up at least a RFP (request for packaging) issue.

I simply have asked the maintainers of wxwidgets3.0 what are their plans.

There are no planning on packaging the current development tree of
wxwidgets3.1 because simply the ABI isn't declared as stable. As long
this is not happen it could be possible that every package that is
depending on such a package will get mostly needed to be rebuild by a
new upload of src:wxwidget3.1 due ABI changes. So the current
wxwidgets3.0 packages *are* the only packages for wxwidgets.

The soft freeze for Buster in Debian is in December. And there is no
movement visible in wxwidgets3.1 for months. I'd say it will not happen
we see wxwidgets3.1 in Buster.

I can fully understand that the wxwidget maintainers don't want to take
this challenge for rather less gain.

Also it looks like that also Buster can't get rid fully of GTK2 packages
and libraries. So we will mostly have libwxgtk3.0-0v5 (GTK2) *and*
libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5 (GTK3) in the next Debian release.

I don't know what the downstream distributions will do, but I don't
expect that we will see wxwidgets3.1 in any of the downstreams, even not
in Ubuntu and in a PPA here. But there is always the possibility to use
backports if it's possible.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert