Re: Benchmarking kicad compilation on CPUsreleased 6 years apart

My analysis of threadrippers vs top of the line Ryzens, condensed in 2
points:
1. For significantly more money you get few more cores, a lot more PCIe
lanes and 20-30% less frequency (single thread performance).
2. Unless you know that your workload is easily parallelizable to 50+
threads, requires a lot of very fast storage (lots of PCIe ssds) and does
not depend on single core performance, threadrippers are not worth it.

For general workstation use case sweet spot in terms of perf/dollar is
actually cheaper R7 3700x. R9 3900x is better only if you regularly do
something that will use all 12 cores because it costs $200 more. Upcoming
3950x probably will be fine example of diminishing returns and not worth it
for majority of use cases.
When talking about perf/dollar for threadrippers one should also take into
account increased cost of motherboards and cooling for TR sockets which
also doesn't play in their favor.

Best,
Andrew