Re: V6 documentation

Hi,

Am 19.01.22 um 23:18 schrieb Eeli Kaikkonen:

I don't understand why this discussion is so difficult to understand.

sorry but I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve!
There is no problem within the Linux world and their distros to provide packaged documentation, there is no need to develop another new way for distributing documentation.

I agree with Jon and don't see any problem for distros. As far as I
can see the point is that the documentation package version shouldn't
be logically dependent on the KiCad packages or vice versa. You can
have package kicad-v6.0-documentation version, say, 20222001 [date],
can't you? You don't have to give it the version number 6.0.x. If a
git tag is needed for technical reasons, let's have automatic tagging
which adds a tag each day.

To use the words from Marco...

"Are you serious?"

I'm getting a bit disappointed because I become the feeling that you are somehow ignorant about the arguments of at least two main packagers of KiCad within Linux. And I really think that you want to solve problems on the wrong corner.

THE MAIN PROBLEM ARE THE OUTDATED DOCUMENTS!
NOT THE WAY THEY ARE DISTRIBUTED.

So it's better to think about how the documentation can be updated and how a ongoing process can be introduced to make contributions easier with a low barrier for one time contributors.

And as Marco did explain, we need to fix the tools if there is something missed at the end. Be friendly to the distributions, please do not try to ignore them. They are part of the FOSS ecosystem KiCad is depending on. Do not try to "solve" things were distributions already have a process for and established rules for that.

I stop now reading any new post on this topic.

--
Regards
Carsten