kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: 6.0 documentation start

Hi Jon,

Am 27.09.20 um 23:51 schrieb Jon Evans:
> Good suggestions, Marco!
>
> Regarding translations:
>
> 1) If we move chunks of text from one doc to another, is it easy to keep
> the translations updated?

(based on my experience) not really.
But I'd not really care about the existing translations. The suggested
and minded changes are so big that probably only small chunks will be
the same after the reconstruction, taking care on this will then block
the needed progress on the base material for translation.

And the translating tool have their own functionality to provide
suggestions for translations. As long as you do not use these fancy
online tools. :-)

> 2) For the V6 documentation effort, is it best to do things gradually
> while translators work in the background, or having a "documentation
> freeze" after which all the translations happen?

I would go the the way to primarily work on the native new English
documentation until most of the people are happy with that. Translators
can work on the stuff but it's not guarantied that any work that was
done is useful at anytime, it might needed to do a completely rework.

Once the base is declared to be the final one this needs to get a
freeze, that doesn't mean no improvements are allowed after that. I'm
sure translators will still find grammar and other issues e.g.

> The context help idea is a good one, I'm not sure if there is an issue
> for this on GitLab yet.  We may be able to add this in a future KiCad
> version.

GitLab has a much butter issues tracking functionality than Lauchpad.
Issues are cheap and can be chained. Usually a master or goal issue is
used that only has the sub issues as main content. So you easily see
what needs to be done to reach the next release goal.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert