Re: Silk screens over pads and naming

Let’s get back to the basics.

WHY A SILKSCREEN?

Originally, PCB were assembled by hand, and the markings were dual purpose, Assembly and Inspection.
They were printed on the PCB using colored paint and silk (plastic) or metal screens, So the outline of the component was helping the operators to stuff the board, and the RefDes was to make sure you were using the right part, and also for trouble-shooting a failed test.
When the board is fully assembled, the outline is meaningless, only the RefDes keep its value.

And there is no difference in purpose between Through Hole and Surface Mounted parts.
For polarized capacitors, I have seen a lot of different options, the most efficient one being a circle or a square with a “+” sign to show the polarity, The “+” sign or sometimes a dot being outside the shape.
What is important is that the marking eliminate ambiguity, but does not jeopardize reliability. So it is VERY important that it does not touch or cover a solder area.

my $0.02,

Jean-Paul
AC9GH