Re: KLC - Footprint Properties

On 1/26/2015 6:49 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 26/01/2015 02:46, Carl Poirier a écrit :
>> Hi MIchal,
>>
>> This is the wording I have for now.
>>
>> 6.11. Doc property contains a full description of footprint.
>> 6.12. Keywords are separated by spaces.
>> 6.13. Reference is filled with footprint name.
>
> Perhaps better fill value with footprint name.

Using the footprint name as the default value field makes sense to me.
I would also like to see visibility of the default value field set to
hidden.  I don't think I've ever seen a board with component values on
the silkscreen layers.  I know I've never the luxury of that much extra
room on any boards that I've designed.

> Reason: reference is usually a short word (like Uxxx).
> Value and footprint name are usually a more long name (like 330K-1% or
> BGA_0.5_128x128).
> So, the default values (which will be replaced by they actual values)
> are more representative of these actual texts.
>
> Also, avoid too long names for fp names and 3d shape names. They always
> create issues.

Please consider this advice.  There are some footprint names that are
really long which makes displaying them less than ideal.  I'm not saying
there will never be long footprint file names, I suggesting that we make
them no long than necessary.  I don't see revision and date information
in the file name as necessary.  Add this to the description field if needed.

> Just my 2 cents, or, if you prefer, my 2€ (looks like the same, now).
>
>> 6.14. Attributes is set to the appropriate value, see tooltip for more
>> information.
>> 6.15. All other properties are left to default values. (Value: VAL**, Move
>> and Place: Free; Auto Place: 0 and 0,  Local Clearance Values: 0)
>> 6.16. 3D Shape ".wrl" files are named the same as their footprint and are
>> placed in a folder named the same as the footprint library without the
>> ".pretty".
>
> Perhaps the folder could be named the same as the footprint library
> without the ".pretty" but with something like *.3dshapes or _3dshapes*
>
> This is more easy to filter and list with fp lib wizard.
>
> Wayne, what is your opinion?

I'm OK with either .3dshapes or _3dshapes for the model paths that we
provide.

>> For the text size, I'll have to check for the default value. If it's not
>> 1mm, I'll ask to make it the default.

Whatever size you make the default text, please do this for all symbols
including the power symbols.  As of right now the default text sizes are
all over the place.  This is really bad for power symbols because you
cannot edit power symbol fields in Eeschema.  Yes, you can edit the
schematic file by hand or modify the power symbol library but neither
solution is friendly.

> Carl and all contributors to the Kicad Libraries: Thanks!
> I know this is a hard work, with very few reward from users.

Thank you Carl for taking the lead on this.