Re: KLC - Footprint Properties

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 1/26/2015 6:49 AM, jp charras wrote:
> > Le 26/01/2015 02:46, Carl Poirier a écrit :
> >> Hi MIchal,
> >>
> >> This is the wording I have for now.
> >>
> >> 6.11. Doc property contains a full description of footprint.
> >> 6.12. Keywords are separated by spaces.
> >> 6.13. Reference is filled with footprint name.
> >
> > Perhaps better fill value with footprint name.
>
> Using the footprint name as the default value field makes sense to me.
> I would also like to see visibility of the default value field set to
> hidden.  I don't think I've ever seen a board with component values on
> the silkscreen layers.  I know I've never the luxury of that much extra
> room on any boards that I've designed.

That makes sense to me, but indeed we need to change the default values.

> > Reason: reference is usually a short word (like Uxxx).
> > Value and footprint name are usually a more long name (like 330K-1% or
> > BGA_0.5_128x128).
> > So, the default values (which will be replaced by they actual values)
> > are more representative of these actual texts.
> >
> > Also, avoid too long names for fp names and 3d shape names. They always
> > create issues.
>
> Please consider this advice.  There are some footprint names that are
> really long which makes displaying them less than ideal.  I'm not saying
> there will never be long footprint file names, I suggesting that we make
> them no long than necessary.  I don't see revision and date information
> in the file name as necessary.  Add this to the description field if
needed.

Eradicating revision and date from footprint names has been mostly done by
Dick already.

> > Just my 2 cents, or, if you prefer, my 2€ (looks like the same, now).
> >
> >> 6.14. Attributes is set to the appropriate value, see tooltip for more
> >> information.
> >> 6.15. All other properties are left to default values. (Value: VAL**,
Move
> >> and Place: Free; Auto Place: 0 and 0,  Local Clearance Values: 0)
> >> 6.16. 3D Shape ".wrl" files are named the same as their footprint and
are
> >> placed in a folder named the same as the footprint library without the
> >> ".pretty".
> >
> > Perhaps the folder could be named the same as the footprint library
> > without the ".pretty" but with something like *.3dshapes or _3dshapes*
> >
> > This is more easy to filter and list with fp lib wizard.
> >
> > Wayne, what is your opinion?
>
> I'm OK with either .3dshapes or _3dshapes for the model paths that we
> provide.

.3dshapes sounds good to me.

> >> For the text size, I'll have to check for the default value. If it's
not
> >> 1mm, I'll ask to make it the default.
>
> Whatever size you make the default text, please do this for all symbols
> including the power symbols.  As of right now the default text sizes are
> all over the place.  This is really bad for power symbols because you
> cannot edit power symbol fields in Eeschema.  Yes, you can edit the
> schematic file by hand or modify the power symbol library but neither
> solution is friendly.

For symbols, it's been decided a good while ago that text size was 50mils.
The question here was for value and reference in footprints. Right now the
default is 1.5mm.

> > Carl and all contributors to the Kicad Libraries: Thanks!
> > I know this is a hard work, with very few reward from users.
> >

> Thank you Carl for taking the lead on this.

You are welcome. I have got a hand from some other members for elaborating
the convention, mainly Lorenzo, Jean-Paul and John. Kerusey has helped a
lot approving pull requests and contributing as well as Michał Stec more
recently.