Re: How do I fix mailing lists? (was: Re: Why do lists need special approval?)

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Maris Fogels wrote:
> On 09-08-05 04:44 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Karl Fogel
>> wrote:

>>> What if we
>>>
>>>  a) Put a big notice there reminding people to create Ubuntu lists at
>>>    lists.ubuntu.com, and
>>>
>>>  b) If a list has ubuntu in its name, interpose a warning+confirmation
>>>    screen, and
>>>
>>>  c) For the few mistakes that still happen, just do post-facto review
>>>    and move them over to ubuntu.com as needed.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> a) & c) are really cheap too.
>>

> So, if I wanted to fix mailing lists, so they no longer need approval, what
> steps must I follow to do so?

I can think of three options for a)

  - Adding an "Are you sure?" page as part of the mailing list
creation process. Put the Ubuntu notice there.
  - Adding the Ubuntu notice to the team page just above the "Create a
mailing list" link.
  - Have a create mailing list form that has mostly what's on the
configure mailing list page, except that it also has the Ubuntu
notice.

I don't think b) is necessary -- our implementation of c) will give us
data to determine if it is.

Step c) requires a little bit more hacking, since there's no way of
listing mailing lists on Launchpad that I can find. I would suggest:
  - write up a query that returns the mailing lists created since
yesterday and have running that & examining the output be a part of
the CHR duties.
  - asap changing the +mailinglists page to return a batched list of
mailing lists sorted by date. Since it's an admin-only page, it can
afford to be a little ugly.

And, of course, there's implicit step d), which is disable the approval code.

So, if we really wanted to live on the edge, we could just do step d)
and rely on running a query manually to get us the reports. It's ugly,
but I'd guess it's easily something we could do this cycle.

jml