Re: How do I fix mailing lists?

On 09-08-07 12:05 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Maris Fogels wrote:
On 09-08-05 04:44 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Karl Fogel
wrote:
Danilo `egan  writes:
 * Many Ubuntu-related mailing list requests, which should instead live
on lists.ubuntu.com
What if we

 a) Put a big notice there reminding people to create Ubuntu lists at
   lists.ubuntu.com, and

 b) If a list has ubuntu in its name, interpose a warning+confirmation
   screen, and

 c) For the few mistakes that still happen, just do post-facto review
   and move them over to ubuntu.com as needed.

+1

a) & c) are really cheap too.

So, if I wanted to fix mailing lists, so they no longer need approval, what
steps must I follow to do so?

I can think of three options for a)

  - Adding an "Are you sure?" page as part of the mailing list
creation process. Put the Ubuntu notice there.
  - Adding the Ubuntu notice to the team page just above the "Create a
mailing list" link.
  - Have a create mailing list form that has mostly what's on the
configure mailing list page, except that it also has the Ubuntu
notice.

Would this work?

If the user has put "ubuntu" or "loco" in the list title, then offer to create an ubuntu.com email list for them. Use two radio buttons for the option:

 O my-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 X my-list@xxxxxxxxxx

You see, this way most locos and ubuntu-* project registrants can make the choice themselves:

a) I'm creating ubuntu-core-program, and I want a launchpad.net list address. I pick the @launchpad.net list option.

b) I'm a person registering a new Ubuntu Loco team, and think @ubuntu.com is a better address for the list. I select the @ubuntu.com option.