Re: How do I fix mailing lists? (was: Re: Why do lists need special approval?)

On Aug 10, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Martin Pool wrote:

I guess there's some history I don't know about whether it's a big
deal to have Ubuntu lists on Launchpad.  Does it make Ubuntu people
really unhappy?

Yes.

Is it very hard, when someone makes a mistake, to
close the Launchpad-based list and open the new one?

It's not at all hard to close a mailing list. Where things get more difficult is if there's been traffic on the LP list and after moving to Ubuntu, the list owners want to transfer archives (or worse, subscription information) to the new list.

Also, doesn't Launchpad already have some kind of prohibition or check
on creating teams with names containing "canonical" or "ubuntu"?  A
lists-specific check might not be needed.

Hmm, there are some prohibitions but I still think some list requests get by that are, if not incorrect, definitely head scratchers. Jorge is usually then tasked with making a final determination about those, and I'm pretty sure some get denied.

-Barry