Re: Today's project page review

On Sep 3, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 08:06:07AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
What I care about on this page depends on who I am, or maybe what hat
I'm wearing. I don't think the page is fatally flawed, but I do think
it could benefit from hiding most of the information, with selective
in-page reveals for the stuff I'm interested in.

Could be. We could just change the perspective based on who you are, or
we could have a separate page for the activity, or again, maybe the
timeline is the right solution to this. But to be honest..

For example, right now I don't care about the Project information, or
the Series and milestones, or frankly the Downloads, which takes up an entire screen's worth of vertical space on the right side. I don't care about the FAQs or the Latest questions. What I care about right now are

..the first-time visitor, and the project owner, /will/ care about
contact information, FAQs, questions and releases.

Of course, I'm going to come to different projects with different hats on, and my needs are going to be different. Maybe this isn't the solution, but I think trying to work out the use cases for the project page will help us manage the overwhelming amount of information present.

Or do you disagree that project pages are overwhelming?

-Barry