Re: Bug heat UI

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Graham Binns <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/1/14 Tom Berger <tom.berger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> We may very likely factor in status/importance
>>
>> I think that the current algorithm looks very good, and can definitely
>> be improved later on by bringing in other metadata. However, I'm
>> pretty sure that we should never bring importance in, since one of the
>> use cases we anticipate is for people to use hotness as a way to
>> decide how to set importance. If that's really the case then making
>> importance part of the calculation will be meaningless, and will
>> create a feedback loop that might make the output less reliable.
>>

> I thoroughly agree.

I was being a bit general in my statement and not entirely clear about
what I was thinking.

I was thinking that importance would factor into helping with the
problem that Martin A. mentioned, i.e. controlling the hot list as a
priority queue.  So, yes, I agree the heat value shouldn't change
based on setting importance, but perhaps there's some way we could use
it in the display of the list of hot bugs.  So given a set of 10
equally hot bugs, "Low" bugs would sort lower.

Yes, this isn't really anything to do with calculating heat, but in
practical terms, it does affect how people view and think about the
heat number.

Cheers,
deryck

--