Re: Source Package Recipes Disabled on Edge / What's Needed to Get Them Going Again

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:47:33 +0100
Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  1. I mentioned this to Tim earlier, but I'd appreciate you folks'
> help on making the test suite better.  It currently has some xmlrpc
> tests using a mock slave, but it's really quite hard to use the real
> thing which is why we've never done it and relied on dogfood QA
> instead.  Some fresh ideas would be good!

We've talked about this.  Unfortunately, we've created this positive
feedback loop currently where we're scrambling to keep the build farm
alive instead of being proactive.  I assume once that dies down, it'll
be much better.

>  2. Never, ever skip QA on a buildfarm-related change (even if we did
> have full test suite coverage).

This was learned the hard way...

>  3. I'm going to compile a wiki page of basic QA tasks that must pass
> when testing build farm jobs. Your input on this would be invaluable.
>
> We're also going to be putting a builder and a buildd-manager on
> staging soon. Watch this space.

This would be much more helpful to me, since it's easier for me to
wrangle a LOSA than it is for me to wrangle Soyuz folk (who've usually
EOD'd soon after I start my day.

Cheers,
Paul