Re: Translator credits

Hi Daniel,

On Monday at 20:40, Daniel Nylander wrote:

> Danilo Šegan skrev:
>
>> It's hard to tell the difference.  In my experience (with Serbian
>> translators), there are also a lot of unused suggestions submitted by
>> people which I have to fix to use agreed-on term (which they don't
>> know about).
>
> Let's for instance take the Rhythmbox translation as an example. The
> Swedish translations in GNOME are always (or at least close to) 100%
> done (yes, I work my a** off here).

Looking at
  https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/rhythmbox/+pots/rhythmbox/sv/
  https://translations.launchpad.net/~andy-lundqvist and
  https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/rhythmbox/+pots/rhythmbox/sv/836/+translate

I can see that Andy did in fact contribute something which is even
used atm.  However, this seems to be an extreme case with very many
contributors in the past.

Indeed, if everyone feels we should only list as contributors those
whose translations are being used *now*, by all means say so, and then
we can re-consider it.  This is basically about PO file overview page
which lists all the contributors:

  https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/rhythmbox/+pots/rhythmbox/sv/

Otherwise, it's impossible to judge what has been done and then
reverted simply because translation changes sometimes include small
typo fixes and similar.

Daniel, I understand your frustration with others being creditted for
what is mostly your work, but you also got to understand one other
thing: these people have in fact contributed something to the
translation using Launchpad in the past, even if their suggestions are
not used at the moment.

Now, if this is just an extreme case for a few files in Swedish (or
other languages), we may fix the contributors list manually.

(The proper solution right now is to educate people not to translate
something which has upstream teams working on it: from what I can see,
all the problematic cases above date from the time when many teams
were not set inside Ubuntu translator group, so everybody could
submit translations directly; eg. Andy's translation is from 2006.)

> There are a lot of contributors listed in the About dialog, and noone
> has made any contributions except me, Fredrik Tuomas and Christian Rose.
> Problem is also that the links are mailto: links and not http: links

Are they?  Ugh, now looking at the gtkaboutdialog code I can see that
I should not have used '<' to add http links (they are otherwise
supported).  I'll fix that.

Cheers,
Danilo