Re: [Launchpad-users] Is translation of Launchpad itself planned?

Am 08.12.2009 05:08, Martin Pool schrieb:
> Yes, it is.  However, that 'should' has to contend with the many other
> things Launchpad should or could do next.

I brought up the same subject today on an internal list and we thought
to take the discussion here so that you know what we are talking about.

I started out this way:
> Especially in Translations we do get the request for internationalized
> LP from time to time. Doing that would be a long-term effort as all
> developers would have to be educated/reminded of how to write code that
> can easily be internationalized and large parts of the existing code
> would have to be converted. For the actual translation, though, we have
> this great on-line tool with tons of translators ready to use it on LP
> itself.  ;)  My opinion: I think I'd be worth it.

Björn Tillenius replied:
> Translating Launchpad is not only a technical issue. It's technically
> possible, but is it really a good idea? In short, it is a good idea, if
> it's done right. Translating all of Launchpad, presenting it in the
> user's preferred language, isn't done right. There have been lots of
> discussion of this subject in the past. To summarize it, I think the
> conclusion was that some parts of Launchpad makes sense to translate
> (like Answers, the front page, maybe Translations). Other parts don't
> make that much sense to translate. For example, translating the bug
> tracker isn't such a good idea, unless it's translated into the language
> that the *project* is using. Translate it into the user's preferred
> language, and you will get bug reports in the user's language.

Jonathan Lange replied:
> I haven't been present at as many of the discussion as you have, but
> AIUI, the _reason_ it doesn't make sense to naively localize all of
> Launchpad goes something like this:
>
> 1. Launchpad's reason for being is to make cross-project collaboration
> possible and effective
> 2. To collaborate, you need to communicate
> 3. By far the easiest way to communicate is to speak a single, common language
> 4. That common language is English, for the usual reasons.
>
> I think that's the right reason, and if it isn't, it's still a good reason.
>
> Less clear to me is why Answers, say, is a valid exception. Also,
> although a single, common language is the easiest way to communicate,
> there could be other, more difficult ways that might allow more people
> to participate better in the Launchpad community.[1] I just can't
> think of any right now.

To which Danilo Šegan replied:

> Because it encourages support communities to organise themselves around
> supporting a single language.  I.e. you can register yourself to be a
> support contact for Serbian for Ubuntu, in order to receive only
> questions in Serbian (well, you receive slightly more, which is not my
> favourite feature, but hey).
>
> As a matter of fact, I see questions coming from foreign language
> speakers under certain languages even though questions themselves are in
> English.  I guess translated interface would make them realize that they
> can really use their native language when asking a question, and that
> registered contacts for *their* language will see it.
>
>> > Also, although a single, common language is the easiest way to communicate,
>> > there could be other, more difficult ways that might allow more people
>> > to participate better in the Launchpad community.[1] I just can't
>> > think of any right now.
>
> It'd be nice to make use of the LP Translations database to do automatic
> rough translation between languages.  Kind of like google translate
> does.
>
> Or, we could engage translations community in translating bug reports
> and similar, if they are in a language other than English, thus further
> improving the translations DB we have, and allowing better automated
> translation in the future.  I.e. a developer could just tag a bug
> report, merge proposal or something else with 'needs translation to
> English', and when someone shows up and provides that translation, bug
> report/MP/... gets back into his pool of things to look at.
>
> As an alternative proposal, it'd be relatively easy to derive some
> heuristics which only lets English through for the bug reports and such.
> Perhaps even for other languages, based on LP translations DB, and allow
> project maintainers to decide what languages they accept.
>
> It's not that hard to come up with workable solutions.  It would require
> focus and education, meaning time that we don't have.
>
> I think the potential is great: tapping into a much bigger community
> than just English-speaking world.  But, could we expect support from
> translators in dealing with issues such as above (translating
> user-submitted comments in LP)?  I think we could, if done right.  But,
> doing it right is the hard bit.

Björn also answered to Jonathan:

> Yes, that's a very good reason. I said that it might make sense to
> translate a project's pages (including the bug tracker) into the
> language the project uses (for example, if the project is Spanish only).
> However, given your reason above, it doesn't actually make sense for us
> to support it. If a project is in a non-English language, it will be
> outside our eco-system. Other projects (for example Ubuntu) won't be
> able to collaborate easily with that project, for example by forwarding
> bugs to it. So it sounds like something we don't want to spend our time
> on.
>

>> > Less clear to me is why Answers, say, is a valid exception.
>
> Answers is a bit different, since it's highly project specific, and it's
> geared towards helping application end-users mainly. A bug tracker is
> meant to help the developers, and getting bug reports in different
> languages will make the developers' work harder, since they have to
> either find a way to translate the bug reports, or filter them out,
> dissapointing the bug reporters.
>
> Answers is for a single project only, so you don't have the
> cross-project collobaration aspect there. Answers is more like extended,
> interactive, documentation for a project. Answers is a help to use the
> project, and it's often easier to help a user in his own native
> language. That said, naively translating Answer isn't good here either.
> It only makes sense for the user to ask a question in his native
> language, if there is someone at the other end being able to understand
> the question, and answer the question in the very same language. We
> shouldn't create a black hole for questions to go into.

To which I couldn't resist but answer:
>> However, given your reason above, it doesn't actually make sense for us
>> > to support it. If a project is in a non-English language, it will be
>> > outside our eco-system.
>
> *That* is a bold statement and I think the world is much bigger than we
> tend to think it is. We have to watch out not to appear arrogant towards
> non-English speakers here! "If you don't speak good-enough English, you
> are not part of our community." is a hard thing to say to anybody.
>
> A community is always divided into sub-communities. In the case of
> languages this is defined by who is a speaker of the language. Watch us
> German-speakers, the Spanish-speakers and, of course, the
> Portugese-speakers at the next event ...  ;-)  English will still be used
> for interfacing with the rest of the world, so it is an interface
> language but not the "language of the world" that its speakers like to
> think it is.
>
> There is a big part of the world speaking Chinese. Another big part is
> speaking Spanish. Portugese is a large community in itself, too, by the
> size of Brazil alone. And the French speakers ....  ;)
>
> So, I like the idea of being able to set a  project language and allow
> the project to organize their community in the language they prefer
> because their user and developer base is mainly from that language or
> country. A German tax program may not be of much use to anyone else. A
> program catering some Chinese tradition is of no interest to people that
> don't speak Chinese.
>
> Let's be as open-minded as the open-source world is in general and
> realize that internationalization is something that people want. I
> agree, that it has to be done right but saying "We don't want no foreign
> speakers here" sounds very narrow-minded. Don't worry about Ubuntu not
> being able to interface with them, they *do* have active Locos for a lot
> of languages.

Martin Pool finally commented (on Björn first post):
> This sounds a bit like trying to ban things that might be harmful.
> Whereas in fact... maybe if we shipped this, it would turn out that
> just a small comment in the appropriate language saying "please file
> bugs in English" would be enough.
>
> Also, I wish this was happening on the public list.

And so this ended up here ;)

Henning