Re: Call for review: PCManFM is almost ready for a new release.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 07:11 AM, Martin Bagge / brother wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-13 14:27, Julien Lavergne wrote:
>
>>> So, what is missing for having a stable release of pcmanfm ? Any
>>> major features are still missing ?
>
> This is a key question for Lubuntu right now.
See this:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=156956&atid=801864

I give the bugs different priority. The ones with highest priority
should be fixed before 0.9.9, I think. Please see if you can help.
Personally I will take this one:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3094303&group_id=156956&atid=801864
This is my bottom line. At least this one should be fixed before 0.9.9.
>> Using git HEAD as source for a package in a distribution is not what
>> pcman wants (and I support this way).
>
> Agreed -- and the simplest way to prevent this is to release often
> enough that distributions do not feel any need to package from git :)
Yes, so I plan to make a new release and asked for testing here. In
the past I mistakenly released some broken stuff, and this should not
happen again, especially when there are more and more people using
this.

>>> Last official release is 2010-10-14 ...
>
> Which is both fairly old, and also "bad timing" regarding Ubuntu
> releases, being only about two weeks before the Ubuntu 10.10 final release.
>
> SUGGESTION: Let's test the current "almost-0.9.9" codebase, fix any
> major issues found in the next week or so, then bump the SONAME version
> and release it before the end of June 2011.  Can we do that?

Yes, if with help from the community. No if I do it myself.
Patches from Lubuntu is appreciated.

> Since some testers seem to need packaged versions to test, I'll look at
> creating a test unofficial package from git for them, so we get slightly
> more testing.  Another way to go would be to release a 0.9.9~rc1
> tarball, and a corresponding one for libfm, if that is preferred --
> doing that means noone has to use git head for packaging :)

That's true.
> Jonathan

Actually I have a primitive button-style path bar implemented in libfm
already, but I don't have time yet to add it to pcmanfm. I decided to
do it next time. Let's fix the important bugs first and make a good
release first.