Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/04/2013 03:35 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Dear Jonathan,
>
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Jonathan Marsden
> <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> > Ali,
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 02:17 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> >
> > > If data and numbers are what you are looking for, give me few hours
> > > and I will provide you with the numbers of users who would LOVE to see
> > > this option and that would be ONLY from users on Facebook. ...
> >
> > Asking people on social media "who would like this?" is TOTALLY
> > unhelpful. There is zero cost to them if they say yes -- they expect
> > *others* to do the work for them, for free!  So anyone who just thinks
> > that would be "cool", or something, will say yes, radically inflating
> > the count.
>
> I fail to see the difference between a Social Media site and The
> Mailing List? :)
>
> Are you underestimating the social media sites? do you have any idea
> how much activities are taking place daily? I'm in charge of that area
> and I can tell you that the activities over there are MUCH more than
> the activities over here and Ubuntu Forums together, in fact even much
> more than that. I'm not exaggerating at all :)
>
> However, I agree with you about one thing:
>
> *"> they expect *others* to do the work for them, for free! "
> *
> And that is the exact same scenario over here :)
>
> They do have experience. They know a lot about Lubuntu. They are very
> very very friendly and interact professionally. PLEASE, do not
> underestimate them nor the social media :)
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Lubuntu.Official.Page/posts/538192306215849
>
> No need to have a facebook account to view the above link, it is public.
>
> > What we need is to define how many users have hardware that is too old
> > to install Lubuntu from a current LiveCD or Alternate CD, but new
> > enough to install and run Lubuntu Core.  Then we need to get an idea
> > how many of this group of users are unable to boot the mini.iso and
> > select the "Lubuntu minimal" install from it, and why that approach
> > does not work for them when they try it.
>
> We are not going to replace this with our main ISOs.
> Why it is a huge deal? I'm trying to offer more options that work
> out-of-the-box for some Lubuntu Users. If that will add extra work and
> headache for the Devs team, that would never make me happy, especially
> if this extra work will affect our main focus. As long as one can do
> it manually, NO real big deal. I'm just trying to go extra miles and
> apparently, I hoped for too much.
>
> I totally got your point. You are absolutely right. I can answer you
> with such data when you guys give me/us the same for how many users
> are using Lubuntu :D
> As long as this was and will remain an unknown figure, I can't give
> you such data. After all, my data will mostly be collected from Social
> Networks which you consider 'unhelpful' so that would be useless and
> [...]
@ Ali,

I think what Jonathan was trying to say is that polls in general are
unreliable :^)

Even more so when those who participate in the poll do little to
contribute to the project. That certainly does not include you.

You're a totally valuable member of the Lubuntu team Ali!

Lance