Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Erick Brunzell <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> However, I agree with you about one thing:
>
> "> they expect *others* to do the work for them, for free! "
>
> And that is the exact same scenario over here :)
>
> They do have experience. They know a lot about Lubuntu. They are very very very friendly and interact professionally. PLEASE, do not underestimate them nor the social media :)
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Lubuntu.Official.Page/posts/538192306215849
>
> No need to have a facebook account to view the above link, it is public.
>
> > What we need is to define how many users have hardware that is too old
> > to install Lubuntu from a current LiveCD or Alternate CD, but new
> > enough to install and run Lubuntu Core.  Then we need to get an idea
> > how many of this group of users are unable to boot the mini.iso and
> > select the "Lubuntu minimal" install from it, and why that approach
> > does not work for them when they try it.
>
> We are not going to replace this with our main ISOs.
> Why it is a huge deal? I'm trying to offer more options that work out-of-the-box for some Lubuntu Users. If that will add extra work and headache for the Devs team, that would never make me happy, especially if this extra work will affect our main focus. As long as one can do it manually, NO real big deal. I'm just trying to go extra miles and apparently, I hoped for too much.
>
> I totally got your point. You are absolutely right. I can answer you with such data when you guys give me/us the same for how many users are using Lubuntu :D
> As long as this was and will remain an unknown figure, I can't give you such data. After all, my data will mostly be collected from Social Networks which you consider 'unhelpful' so that would be useless and waste of time :)
>

> > If they are regularly using Facebook, most likely they have a decent
> > Internet connection, so mini.iso and selecting Lubuntu minimal install
> > should work very well for such folks.
> >
> > Jonathan
> > --
>
> You could be right about that too :)
>
> Thank you and sorry if I wasted your time and others as well.
>
> I will not give up. I will find someone with better skills than myself who may be able to create such community version.
>
> Or
>
> Someone who is familiar with what Julien posted:  https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop/+junk/lubuntu-tools
>
> As I don't really know what that link can do or what is all about.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> amjjawad
> Start Ubuntu
>
> Test Machine: ASUS F3F Laptop - Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86GHz with 489MB RAM
>
> @ Ali,
>

> I think what Jonathan was trying to say is that polls in general are unreliable :^)
>
> Even more so when those who participate in the poll do little to contribute to the project. That certainly does not include you.
>
> You're a totally valuable member of the Lubuntu team Ali!

Thank you, Lance, much appreciated.

Obviously, our Devs don't find this idea interested or let's say, they
just can't go for it and reasons are very much understood and no need
to discuss any further.

As I mentioned before. As long as anyone can do it manually, there is
absolutely no problem for anyone and I guess everyone should be happy
at the end of the day :D

Hope one day, we can give more power and more option to the user
during installation :)

Thank you!

P.S.
If polls are unreliable indeed, then I'm sorry, I don't find any other
idea that is faster and easier than a poll to get some data.