Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 05/06/13 13:27, Erick Brunzell wrote:
On 06/04/2013 01:59 PM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
2013/6/3 Jonathan Marsden<jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
But, back to the 'lubuntu-core' vs 'lubuntu-desktop' issue, I'd
prefer that we take an approach similar to that of Edubuntu where
they offer additional installation options on the live images. After
the "preparing to install" screen they have two additional screens
pop up.
Good and very relevant idea.  I think it depends on whether the machines
for which a "core install" would be appropriate have enough RAM to even
use the Lubuntu GUI installer at all.  My suspicion is that they would
not -- in which case, this idea does not help the machines that a "core
install" is needed for.
That's exactly what I had in mind. I don't see the point to have an
ISO with only lubuntu-core, because the result is a desktop which can
do nothing (no application by default). Adding another ISO, will also
add additional work for testing people. The good way to implement it,
IMO, is to add it to ubiquity and to the Desktop ISO, as an option on
install time. However, it's quite complex to add this type of feature
(ubiquity is a bit complex). So, as usual, patches welcome.

Finally, I published [1] some time ago the tools I used to generate
ISO of Lubuntu before the official Lubuntu. It's trivial to replace
lubuntu-desktop by lubuntu-core, and put it somewhere, as a community
respin.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

[1] :https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop/+junk/lubuntu-tools

First of all many thanks for taking the time to respond :^)

I'm in total agreement with what you're saying here.

Do you have any news regarding default apps for Saucy and beyond?

I'm a bit concerned after reading this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/possible-changes-in-ubunu-1310-saucy.html

Specifically:

Some interesting changes are expected to happen in Lubuntu too, the LXDE
Ubuntu flavor. While Ubuntu might switch from Firefox to Chromium,
*Lubuntu considers the opposite: it might ship with Firefox by default
instead of Chromium* as the default web browser because Chromium uses
too much memory for Lubuntu, which is supposed to be a lightweight Linux
distribution.

*Other possible changes in Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander include:*

  * remove lxkeymap in favor of the keyboard applet of lxpanel;
  * Lubuntu Software Center might be replaced with something else;
  * Xscreensaver might be removed and replaced with the LightDM locking
    system;
  * Ubuntu One might be integrated by default;
  * better file manager that includes support for ssh/ftp;
  * FreeCiv or another game might be added by default;
  * artwork changes.

I don't care much about artwork, and I'd love to see us adopt Firefox
rather than Chromium, but I'd hate to see us drop PCManFM because I
detest Thunar and Nautilus is a mess right now.

Lance

It's just somebodies interpretation of this :-
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-s-lubuntu-work-items

--

Steve