Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/04/2013 01:59 PM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> 2013/6/3 Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> But, back to the 'lubuntu-core' vs 'lubuntu-desktop' issue, I'd
>>> prefer that we take an approach similar to that of Edubuntu where
>>> they offer additional installation options on the live images. After
>>> the "preparing to install" screen they have two additional screens
>>> pop up.
>> Good and very relevant idea.  I think it depends on whether the machines
>> for which a "core install" would be appropriate have enough RAM to even
>> use the Lubuntu GUI installer at all.  My suspicion is that they would
>> not -- in which case, this idea does not help the machines that a "core
>> install" is needed for.
> That's exactly what I had in mind. I don't see the point to have an
> ISO with only lubuntu-core, because the result is a desktop which can
> do nothing (no application by default). Adding another ISO, will also
> add additional work for testing people. The good way to implement it,
> IMO, is to add it to ubiquity and to the Desktop ISO, as an option on
> install time. However, it's quite complex to add this type of feature
> (ubiquity is a bit complex). So, as usual, patches welcome.
>
> Finally, I published [1] some time ago the tools I used to generate
> ISO of Lubuntu before the official Lubuntu. It's trivial to replace
> lubuntu-desktop by lubuntu-core, and put it somewhere, as a community
> respin.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne
>
> [1] : https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop/+junk/lubuntu-tools

First of all many thanks for taking the time to respond :^)

I'm in total agreement with what you're saying here.

Do you have any news regarding default apps for Saucy and beyond?

I'm a bit concerned after reading this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/possible-changes-in-ubunu-1310-saucy.html

Specifically:

Some interesting changes are expected to happen in Lubuntu too, the LXDE
Ubuntu flavor. While Ubuntu might switch from Firefox to Chromium,
*Lubuntu considers the opposite: it might ship with Firefox by default
instead of Chromium* as the default web browser because Chromium uses
too much memory for Lubuntu, which is supposed to be a lightweight Linux
distribution.

*Other possible changes in Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander include:*

  * remove lxkeymap in favor of the keyboard applet of lxpanel;
  * Lubuntu Software Center might be replaced with something else;
  * Xscreensaver might be removed and replaced with the LightDM locking
    system;
  * Ubuntu One might be integrated by default;
  * better file manager that includes support for ssh/ftp;
  * FreeCiv or another game might be added by default;
  * artwork changes.

I don't care much about artwork, and I'd love to see us adopt Firefox
rather than Chromium, but I'd hate to see us drop PCManFM because I
detest Thunar and Nautilus is a mess right now.

Lance