Re: Minimal Install (really netboot install) documentation

On 2013-06-21 06:31, Karl Anliot wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 2013-06-21 02:51, Karl Anliot wrote:
>     >
>     > BTW, has anyone updated the wiki to say that you can't use the 32-bit
>     > ISO's on secure boot pc's?  :(
>     >
>     >
>     What makes you mad about it?
>
>     Do you mean the mini.iso specifically? Or all the installers? Or UEFI
>     and secure boot?
>

> Sorry, I was just talking for my own benefit.  Yes, it's documented.
> I think the install process is still error-prone.  I believe that every
> any linux expert is good enough to install linux on a given piece of
> hardware, but for that same piece of hardware, the difficulty level is
> way too hard for the average user.
>
> Cheers,
> kanliot

The average beginner knows less than the average user, and we need to
focus on the average beginner to get new users.

The difficulty level is *very* different depending on the hardware and
BIOS. I agree it is way too hard for the average user on many computers,
but there are also many of them, where I think it is easy enough, if the
'average user' is happy with a default installation without dual booting
or special partitioning.

I'm afraid we cannot expect a one-button (or two-button) approach to

1. make the installation media
2. perform the installation

because the average beginner starts from Windows or Mac. So I think the
dialogue is necessary in the Ubuntu Forums, our mailing lists and
facebook community. And the wiki pages must be easy to read for
[average] beginners.

I think it is important that everybody helps finding wiki pages that are
too hard for beginners, suggests what to change and helps doing it. I'm
a newbie as a wiki page editor, and I probably write too complicated
text. And English is not my first language. So please help making it easier!

What should we do with a complicated and/or slightly outdated wiki page
(there are many)? Remove/replace it, or make a simple general one, with
a link to that wiki page.