Re: MAAS managed DNS

On 19 July 2012 08:43, Raphaël Badin <raphael.badin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And that also doesn't solve the fact that the DNS server managed by MAAS
> will be authoritative for more than what's strictly necessary but I confess
> I don't see how this particular problem can be solved.  (In the example
> mentioned above, the ISP's DNS server is still authoritative for the entire
> 206.126.7.0/24 network.)

It's not a problem unless those DNS servers are also used as
forwarding/resolving servers for the MAAS nodes too. For a
non-forwarding server, only those zones (or part-zones) for which it
is authoritative will be delegated to it; it simply won't be asked for
things for which it hasn't been granted authority.

However, if it's used as a forwarding/resolving server (i.e. referred
to in resolv.conf on nodes), then it'll freely answer as authoritative
for anything that it believes it is authoritative for, even for TLDs
if you configure it thus.