Re: Storage Engine API changes

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Brian Aker<brian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BTW I suspect for Drizzle we will resurrect BDB at some point in the future
> mainly to provide this sort of interface. From talking to Josh Berkus, there
> may be a standard interface out there defined by some committee that could
> also be used (I believe they are looking at this for Postgres).

Hm, well there's SQL/MED which is support for federated tables. Ie,
declaring a table which lives off in another database and accessing it
requires issuing a query against that remote database.

Federated tables do have some things in common with MySQL-style
pluggable storage engines in that the different remote databases may
support different access paths and require delegating a lot of
intelligence to the remote database to be able to exploit them. You
also want to be able to push joins between two remote tables to the
remote database etc. It's also natural to express things like text
files or spreadsheets as SQL/MED data sources.

But the SQL/MED standard is just about the SQL syntax to declare these
things. It doesn't really describe the internal API or get into any
implementation details.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf