Re: Documentation for new features in MariaDB

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Daniel Bartholomew<dbart@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Henrik> For now, we should aim at documenting the new features we
> Henrik> produce, both as release notes and as an incomplete reference
> Henrik> manual (complete when read as an addon to MySQL manual).
>
> To facilitate this I have created a MariaDB 5.1 reference manual on the
> wiki. The table-of-contents can be found here:
> http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/Manual:Contents
>
> There is also an index, which can be found here:
> http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/Category:MariaDB_5.1_Reference_Manual

Hi Daniel

Thanks for picking this up! It is good to have some form of Manual in
place when we start making releases now.

> As Henrik states, the purpose of this *incomplete* reference manual is
> to document the *differences* between MariaDB 5.1 and MySQL 5.1. Do not
> think of it as a complete reference manual.

This is the goal yes. That being said... If a volunteer wants to write
Manual articles on any topic outside this goal, there is nothing we
can do to stop you :-)

> To bootstrap it I have added a few things from the "MariaDB versus
> MySQL" and "MariaDB 5.1 TODO" pages of the wiki:
>
> http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_versus_MySQL
> http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_5.1_TODO
>
> Please add any entries to the TOC which you think should be in the
> manual and feel free to reorganize the TOC if you feel there's a better
> or more logical way to do it. Also, if there's anything I've added
> which should *not* be there, let me know so I can remove it.

Daniel, one more piece of content that you could move into the manual
is that currently on the download page there is something that looks
like installation instructions. I would like these to be removed from
the download page so it is just a clean page of download links, and
the Manual is an excellent place to move that text to! (Then link to
it from the download page.)

henrik
--
email: henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx