Re: Documentation for new features in MariaDB

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:28:49 +0300, Henrik Ingo
<henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<cut>

Henrik> The knowledgebase will be used Creole markup. I believe Daniel
Henrik> already that Mediawiki markup is an ok interim solution.

Yes, mediawiki markup is close enough to Creole to be a good interim
format.

Henrik> It seems to me if KB is the ultimate goal, then starting to
Henrik> write the reference manual on askmonty.org wiki is a good start.
Henrik>
Henrik> For now, we should aim at documenting the new features we
Henrik> produce, both as release notes and as an incomplete reference
Henrik> manual (complete when read as an addon to MySQL manual).

To facilitate this I have created a MariaDB 5.1 reference manual on the
wiki. The table-of-contents can be found here:
http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/Manual:Contents

There is also an index, which can be found here:
http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/Category:MariaDB_5.1_Reference_Manual

(Note: The index is just a page index, not a function or keyword
index. The index exists so you can locate pages alphabetically, the
TOC exists so you can locate pages logically. Of course, right now
there are so few pages that the distinction is practically
meaningless, but hopefully that will change. :) )

As Henrik states, the purpose of this *incomplete* reference manual is
to document the *differences* between MariaDB 5.1 and MySQL 5.1. Do not
think of it as a complete reference manual.

To bootstrap it I have added a few things from the "MariaDB versus
MySQL" and "MariaDB 5.1 TODO" pages of the wiki:

http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_versus_MySQL
http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_5.1_TODO

Please add any entries to the TOC which you think should be in the
manual and feel free to reorganize the TOC if you feel there's a better
or more logical way to do it. Also, if there's anything I've added
which should *not* be there, let me know so I can remove it.

I've created a help page with instructions on the preferred way to add
things here:
http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Adding_Pages_to_Categories

Thanks.

--