Re: Maria-db refuses to start

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 5:41 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > <import the dumps as it's normal for postgresql>
> > I think you mean mysql, not postgresql...
>
> no, i mean postgresql, that piece of crap breaking for years after
> dist-upgrades because you need to do dump+restore at every version
> change - real fun because you need to remember about the dump *before*

The other side of the coin is a questionable InnoDB "optimization"
that was finally fixed in MySQL 5.1.48 (in 2010) due to an external
bug report. Heikki Tuuri firmly believed that zeroing out pages when
they are initialized burns too many CPU cycles, so it is better to
just write whatever garbage to any unused bytes in data pages. He
actually forbade me to fix it back in 2004 or 2005, and forbade me to
spend any time to prove what kind of bad things could happen. (Back
then, even the FIL_PAGE_TYPE was written uninitialized to anything
other than B-tree index pages. So, if the page type field said
FIL_PAGE_INDEX, you could not say if it actually was an index page.)

I have tried to keep the implications in mind, but there has been at
least one serious bug regarding this:
https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-27800

If a database with InnoDB had been originally initialized before MySQL
5.1.48 and you kept upgrading the binary files, you could have a
similar ticking time-bomb in some other data structure, which might be
forgotten when a future minor change to the data file format is made.
This would not be caught in normal upgrade tests, which would
initialize a database using a previous server version (say, 10.2) and
then upgrade to 10.3. To catch something like this, you would have to
initialize and populate the database in MySQL 5.1.47 or earlier, with
a suitable usage pattern that actually causes some unused to contain
suitably unlucky garbage bytes. (On a freshly initialized database
they could easily be 0.)

MariaDB Server 10.4 introduced a new file format
innodb_checksum_algorithm=full_crc32, and MariaDB Server 10.5 made it
the default. Any files that were created when that setting is active
are guaranteed to write any unused bytes as zeroes. It also fixes a
peculiar design decision that some bytes of the page are not covered
by any checksum, and that a page is considered valid if any of the
non-full_crc32 checksums happen to produce a match. This includes the
magic 0xdeadbeef for innodb_checksum_algorithm=none.

Maybe we should consider eventually deprecating write support for the
non-full_crc32 format, to force a fresh start.

Note: We still spend effort to allow in-place binary upgrades. My last
example of that was https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-29694,
removing one of the innovative InnoDB features: the change buffer
a.k.a. insert buffer, because it has been the source of many
hard-to-debug index corruption bugs.

With best regards,

Marko
--