Re: [Ayatana] "fileless" paradigm

I'm not entirely sure this pertains to this particular conversation, but here is my take on it:

I think that, instead of depending on users to sort their files by themselves, there should instead be a Home directory where everything gets put Then, when they open Nautilus (or Dash, etc.) they would still be presented the conventional view of their Home directory, but, the folders would instead be meta folders, sorting the content on the fly.

So, say a user download three videos and and song and half downloads a fourth movie. When they went into Nautilus, they would see all the folders we currently see, but those folders would not technically exist. When the user clicks on the "Videos" meta-folder, the file browser automatically sorts the pool of files in the Home folder and displays only video files. When the user clicks "Music," the song file appears. When they click "Downloads," all the files they download recently show as well as any partial downloads.

This would save users having to worry about where they put that file when they chose to save it or such as it would automatically be sorted to the most logical place by the system. Then, for more granular control on a per-file basis, I think dependence on applications would be better. (Using Banshee to fix up the meta-data for your music, Shotwell for photos, etc.)

Well, that's my idea anyway.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Roberto Guido <bob4job@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 13:02 +0100, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> any more variations of this [CONTAINER] - [CONTENT] metaphor?

Lobotomy - http://lobotomy-project.org/
The basic concept: container-less browsing, no folders, only "queries"
against the store (of course managed and assisted by the user interface,
not everyone can write SQL or SPARQL every time he needs a
content ;-) ).
That has been a "conceptual" project of mine for several years, and had
many evolutions; not many code has been produced, just some document and
elucubration now scattered all over the web.

> Which concept can serve these needs?

I think enforcing "search" against "browsing" could be a good
compromise: we need files just because we cannot imagine any other form
of contents aggregation (we need to put the bytes somewhere...), but
today we already have tools to go after folders.
Desktop indexing is a reality, but barely used by user applications:
both Tracker and Nepomuk are available and stable, I can count very
little project running over them. If massively used and integrated in
the DE, the user could forget folders and just search what needed from
time to time instead of browsing his own folder hierarchy.
For example, the "Save" option can just become "save those contents in a
directory choosen by software, not by me, and index it so I can retrieve
it". A Spotlight-like application can completely substitute the file
manager, and we already have specific examples of folder-less contents
navigation ( http://live.gnome.org/Soylent ).

p.s.: I was one of the Itsme developers ;-)
http://itsme.it/news/2009/02/09/we-doubled-our-tech-force/

--
Roberto -MadBob- Guido
http://claimid.com/madbob