Re: Proposal to improve communication and make more efficient the inclusion of new branches.

On 2013-10-25 17:43, Mario Arias wrote:
Reason to be for OCB branches is that official ones are not "community friendly"...

  * Lots of bugs with even corresponding MPs that are rejected and/or ignored...
  * Changes needed to really fix a bug that are not accepted because of the "no
    change to model", but not fixing is worse...

I strongly disagree with those statements. The OpenERP stable policy is here to protect customers, but OpenERP SA also offers a bugfix guarantee to the customers. So no, the policy can never be an excuse for not fixing a real bug.

I should know because it's my job. I've been dealing with dozens of bug reports and maintenance tickets every single week for the past few years (qualifying reports, reviewing patches, helping to write patches, etc.), and enforcing the policy at the same time. And I've never encountered a *real* bug that we refused to fix, policy or not. If you have, please send me the bug number or maintenance ticket number so I can verify it!

Actually, in most case it only takes a few more minutes of thinking for an OpenERP engineer to find a valid fix that does not violate the stable policy. And if we ever come across a bug that *really* requires a model change, we can always find alternatives like shipping them as extra auto-install modules.

On the other hand I *have* encountered countless cases of regressions and errors caused by casual changes committed on a stable branch, which is the very reason why the policy is in place.

No, the policy is not designed to make our lives simpler, and it often makes fixing bugs a bit more difficult! But it's definitely worthwhile in order to offer true stability to the customers. Have you tried OpenERP 5.0 at the time where every bugfix was commited directly into the stable branch without any review nor policy?!

And finally no, the great majority of OpenERP deployments are not under the active supervision of OpenERP Partners or competent OpenERP technicians, despite what some people want to believe. Just do the maths!