Re: Proposal to improve communication and make more efficient the inclusion of new branches.

In order to move forward, the next step is to draft a community
statement on the role of OCB branches. Because it looks like you expect
more than the initial goals (backport of bugs fixed in trunk on v7)

What do you expect from the ocb branches? Possible answers:

1/ A more "up-to-date" branch where bugfixes are applied by the
   community faster than in official v7.
2/ A way to improve collaboration OpenERP SA-Community by having a way
   to simplify the code review process for OpenERP SA to merge faster in
   stable.
3/ A branch where you can push nice-to-have or wishlist features that
   you need for your projects or community modules
4/ A branch where you can improve the code in a more 'clean' way by
   breaking API, schema...
5/ A way to change design decisions such as default behaviors or values
   on which you may disagree on the path chosen in the stable branch

And it's important to balance this, with the 'cost' or responsibilities
indirectly linked to these roles:

1/ If the goal of ocb is to have a more stable branch, are you ready to
   apply strict stable policies which slows down the MP process and
   forces to refuse more MP.

2/ If the goal is to have both project (ocb-stable) to benefit from
   each other, are you ready to accept our code review decisions so
   that you can continuously merge back stable into ocb. (e.g. if we
   revert some of your changes while doing our code review and merging
   ocb in stable, would you merge this change back to ocb or will you
   maintain separate features?)

3/ If you want to push new features in OCB rather than putting them in
   community modules, are you ready to accept potential new regressions
   and bugs.

4/ If you want to be able to break API or schema to improve code, are
   you ready to pay an extra effort every time you want to apply latest
   bugfixes in your production environments. (no conflict with your
   custom module, -u, ...)

5/ If you want to use ocb to apply others design decisions than the
   stable one, are you ready to maintain this fork for the long term?
   v8, v9, ...

If we succeed to answer these, then everyone will probably agree on the
best way to organise MP and ocb branches.

--
Fabien Pinckaers
CEO OpenERP