Re: Coding Guidlines - long lines

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Oscar Alca <oszckar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think that there is a reason to have this discussion, PEP's were
> made by a reason indeed, and PEP8 is known by allmost all Python
> programmers, so here is the scenario, imagine that in a month from now a
> old Python programmer dives into the OpenERP world, is he going to read all
> historic data on the mailing lists to catch up with all the things that we
> discussed and established?, even if we agree to do it one way or another,
> will OpenERP SA publish this on the docs as a guideline?, Python has its
> own best practices (known and available to everybody) and OpenERP too,
> please do not try to reinvent the wheel.
>
> BTW, I do not want to be rude, it's just my humble opinion.
>
> Regards.

Oscar, again there is this discussion exactly because this is a thing that
became ambiguous in PEP8: was originally 80 chars and now states:
"Some teams strongly prefer a longer line length. For code maintained
exclusively or primarily by a team that can reach agreement on this issue,
it is okay to increase the nominal line length from 80 to 100 characters
(effectively increasing the maximum length to 99 characters), provided that
comments and docstrings are still wrapped at 72 characters."
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

I personally have no strong opinion about the choice, but let's say I
understand why the question was raised.

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi